Monday, April 23, 2012

Social Studies for High School - Revised


What Did We Do This Year?

SEAL has done a fantastic job with the Mystery of History Volumes 1 and 2.  (We call this World History & Geography I.)  Next year he will be using the Mystery of History Volume 3 and Around the World in 180 Days from Apologia Press.  (World History & Geography II)  IF MOH, Volume 4 is available in the Spring, he will continue working in that also.  Seal, a very motivated student, does all of this on his own.  He does not do every activity for the older student but must accumulate 200 points for each book.  The point value of an assignment is determined by how much time is necessary for research as well as the length of his essay or paragraph.  I love seeing my children focused on learning and enjoying it!  I am confident with this arrangement that my high school students will have a firm grasp of World History.

NFL who has chosen to work on math and one other subject at a time finished American Government this past summer.  He will be working on World Geography soon.


Our Revised High School Social Studies Plan


Freshman: World Geography
Sophomore: World History I
Junior: World History II
Senior: United States History


Why are the classes in this order?

I believe that the Around the World in 180 Days book is one that a Ninth Grader can complete alone. For a student to accomplish 2 volumes of Mystery of History in a school year will require more maturity and self-discipline, so the 2 years of World History are scheduled for the 10th and 11th grades.  What I have designed for our United States History course is totally based on self-motivated research and composition skills, so this course is better suited to a Senior who is preparing for college research projects.  (There really is some logic in this progression!)

What about American Government?

I'm glad you asked... I plan for this to be completed in 8th grade.  It is a 1/2 credit course, but using the Abeka American Government book which is meant for 12th grade still requires hard work for an 8th grade student.  I still need to choose an Economics course.  Any recommendations for an Economics course are welcome.  Nothing has really grabbed my attention yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment